Back to Top
Version: King James Edition - English
- 1We have heard with our ears, O God, our fathers have told us, what work thou didst in their days, in the times of old.
- 2How thou didst drive out the heathen with thy hand, and plantedst them; how thou didst afflict the people, and cast them out.
- 3For they got not the land in possession by their own sword, neither did their own arm save them: but thy right hand, and thine arm, and the light of thy countenance, because thou hadst a favour unto them.
- 4Thou art my King, O God: command deliverances for Jacob.
- 5Through thee will we push down our enemies: through thy name will we tread them under that rise up against us.
- 6For I will not trust in my bow, neither shall my sword save me.
- 7But thou hast saved us from our enemies, and hast put them to shame that hated us.
- 8In God we boast all the day long, and praise thy name for ever. Selah.
- 9But thou hast cast off, and put us to shame; and goest not forth with our armies.
- 10Thou makest us to turn back from the enemy: and they which hate us spoil for themselves.
- 11Thou hast given us like sheep appointed for meat; and hast scattered us among the heathen.
- 12Thou sellest thy people for nought, and dost not increase thy wealth by their price.
- 13Thou makest us a reproach to our neighbours, a scorn and a derision to them that are round about us.
- 14Thou makest us a byword among the heathen, a shaking of the head among the people.
- 15My confusion is continually before me, and the shame of my face hath covered me,
- 16For the voice of him that reproacheth and blasphemeth; by reason of the enemy and avenger.
- 17All this is come upon us; yet have we not forgotten thee, neither have we dealt falsely in thy covenant.
- 18Our heart is not turned back, neither have our steps declined from thy way;
- 19Though thou hast sore broken us in the place of dragons, and covered us with the shadow of death.
- 20If we have forgotten the name of our God, or stretched out our hands to a strange god;
- 21Shall not God search this out? for he knoweth the secrets of the heart.
- 22Yea, for thy sake are we killed all the day long; we are counted as sheep for the slaughter.
- 23Awake, why sleepest thou, O Lord? arise, cast us not off for ever.
- 24Wherefore hidest thou thy face, and forgettest our affliction and our oppression?
- 25For our soul is bowed down to the dust: our belly cleaveth unto the earth.
- 26Arise for our help, and redeem us for thy mercies' sake.