Back to Top
Version: King James Edition - English
- 1Woe to her that is filthy and polluted, to the oppressing city!
- 2She obeyed not the voice; she received not correction; she trusted not in the LORD; she drew not near to her God.
- 3Her princes within her are roaring lions; her judges are evening wolves; they gnaw not the bones till the morrow.
- 4Her prophets are light and treacherous persons: her priests have polluted the sanctuary, they have done violence to the law.
- 5The just LORD is in the midst thereof; he will not do iniquity: every morning doth he bring his judgment to light, he faileth not; but the unjust knoweth no shame.
- 6I have cut off the nations: their towers are desolate; I made their streets waste, that none passeth by: their cities are destroyed, so that there is no man, that there is none inhabitant.
- 7I said, Surely thou wilt fear me, thou wilt receive instruction; so their dwelling should not be cut off, howsoever I punished them: but they rose early, and corrupted all their doings.
- 8Therefore wait ye upon me, saith the LORD, until the day that I rise up to the prey: for my determination is to gather the nations, that I may assemble the kingdoms, to pour upon them mine indignation, even all my fierce anger: for all the earth shall be
- 9For then will I turn to the people a pure language, that they may all call upon the name of the LORD, to serve him with one consent.
- 10From beyond the rivers of Ethiopia my suppliants, even the daughter of my dispersed, shall bring mine offering.
- 11In that day shalt thou not be ashamed for all thy doings, wherein thou hast transgressed against me: for then I will take away out of the midst of thee them that rejoice in thy pride, and thou shalt no more be haughty because of my holy mountain.
- 12I will also leave in the midst of thee an afflicted and poor people, and they shall trust in the name of the LORD.
- 13The remnant of Israel shall not do iniquity, nor speak lies; neither shall a deceitful tongue be found in their mouth: for they shall feed and lie down, and none shall make them afraid.
- 14Sing, O daughter of Zion; shout, O Israel; be glad and rejoice with all the heart, O daughter of Jerusalem.
- 15The LORD hath taken away thy judgments, he hath cast out thine enemy: the king of Israel, even the LORD, is in the midst of thee: thou shalt not see evil any more.
- 16In that day it shall be said to Jerusalem, Fear thou not: and to Zion, Let not thine hands be slack.
- 17The LORD thy God in the midst of thee is mighty; he will save, he will rejoice over thee with joy; he will rest in his love, he will joy over thee with singing.
- 18I will gather them that are sorrowful for the solemn assembly, who are of thee, to whom the reproach of it was a burden.
- 19Behold, at that time I will undo all that afflict thee: and I will save her that halteth, and gather her that was driven out; and I will get them praise and fame in every land where they have been put to shame.
- 20At that time will I bring you again, even in the time that I gather you: for I will make you a name and a praise among all people of the earth, when I turn back your captivity before your eyes, saith the LORD.